This holiday season, let’s highlight all that’s possible with Listening and Spoken Language (LSL) by celebrating the 12 Days of LSL! Each day, we highlight a different aspect of LSL and celebrate children with hearing loss as they learn to listen, talk, and succeed just like their friends with typical hearing.
Join us in celebrating the 12 Days of LSL!
12 books for reading11 dreams for dreaming10 hours of wearing9 conversation starters8 words for rhyming7 games for playing6 sounds for listening5 songs to sing4 new vocab words3 jokes for friends2 fitting earmoldsAnd a hearing device that’s perfect for me!
Learn more about the different parts of LSL that we chose to highlight and celebrate.
1. On the first day of LSL, my parents gave to me: a hearing device that’s perfect for me!
For most babies diagnosed with hearing loss, there’s a hearing device that can offer their brain access to all the sounds of speech. Learn more here!
2. On the second day of LSL, my parents gave to me: 2 fitting earmolds
Little ears grow fast during the first few years, so it’s important to keep an eye on earmolds and make sure they are fitting right.
3. On the third day of LSL, my parents gave to me: 3 jokes for friends
Laughing together can be a great way for your child who is hard of hearing to connect with others. Help grow their sense of humor with these 5 funny books.
4. On the fourth day of LSL, my parents gave to me: 4 new vocab words
The holidays are a great time to introduce new vocabulary like presents, reindeer, festive, and gingerbread. The possibilities for learning are endless!
5. On the fifth day of LSL, my parents gave to me: 5 songs to sing
Your little songbirds will love learning “I’m a Little Snowman” and the “Hot Chocolate Song," so they can sing loud and clear for all to hear.
6. On the sixth day of LSL, my parents gave to me: 6 sounds for listening
Daily listening checks with the Ling Six sounds help confirm your baby is listening and that their hearing technology is working consistently. Try it out today!
7. On the seventh day of LSL, my parents gave to me: 7 games for playing
What games do you play that are fun for the whole family? Break those out this holiday season for fun the whole family can enjoy.
8. On the eighth day of LSL, my parents gave to me: 8 words for rhyming
Samantha Barbieri, a member of our Family Support Community, shared these rhyming books her daughter loved when she was younger. Try them out with your kiddos if you haven’t already.
9. On the ninth day of LSL, my parents gave to me: 9 conversation starters
Try the open-ended conversation starters with your child found at the bottom of this page. We’re willing to bet they will be talking for days!
10. On the tenth day of LSL, my parents gave to me: 10 hours of wearing
Wearing hearing technology at least 10 hours a day helps children with hearing loss develop listening and speaking skills. Just remember: eyes open, ears on!
11. On the eleventh day of LSL, my parents gave to me: 11 dreams for dreaming
What dream do you have for your child for 2021? What dreams have already come true?
12. On the twelfth day of LSL, my parents gave to me: 12 books for reading
Check out these delightful winter books for kids. We think your little ones will love them!
How is your family celebrating LSL this holiday season? Share with us on social media or in the FSC—and don’t forget to use the #12DaysOfLSL!
©2021 Hearing First, LLC. All rights reserved.